Friday, February 27, 2009

Blog Assignment #2

Ten media stereotypes I experienced this week:

Feb. 23, 9:45 p.m.
7-11, 89th and Walker
Advertisement
Coors beer poster on the wall
Inappropriate image of a woman in a wet T-shirt holding a beer with the text “Show me your COORS!” next to her
Gender stereotypes

Feb. 23, 11:30 p.m.
www.myspace.com
Web advertisement
Myspace ad for their game Mafia Wars
Image of a black man and a Latino man holding guns
Reinforces the assumption that minorities are violent thugs
Racial stereotypes

Feb. 24, 8:30 a.m.
WWLS 98.1 The Sports Animal
Radio
Rosetta Stone language program advertisement
Male voice asks a question, three females respond with an incorrect answer
Reinforces the male-dominant stereotype – “men are smarter than women”
Gender stereotypes

Feb. 24, 2:15 p.m.
College Crowd, February issue
Magazine
“Valentine’s Day – Gifts for her”
A list of suggested gifts for “her” depicting very expensive items
Assumes women only care about money and expensive things
Gender assumption/stereotypes

Feb. 24, 10:15 p.m.
Personal conversation with Jamie Hill, friend
Conversation after Gov. Bobby Jindal’s response to President Obama’s speech to Congress
My friend said the GOP picked a minority to respond because he can attack Obama’s policies and not fear being called a racist
Racial stereotypes

Feb. 25, 7:30 p.m.
Film
Pineapple Express
The Asian-American characters in the movie are only referred to as “The Asians” and they are portrayed with very thick accents and oriental décor at their home
Racial stereotypes

Feb. 26, 4:45 p.m.
Personal conversation with Lauren Hartley, friend
Conversation after seeing a group of Mexicans drive by in a van
My friend commented that the people in the fan were probably transporting their entire extended family from Mexico
Racial stereotypes

Feb. 27, 1:30 a.m.
www.si.com
Web advertisement
Woman in a small bikini holding a Planters nut bar
Just another example in how companies use sex to sell unrelated items
Gender stereotypes

Feb. 27, 12:20 p.m.
Television
Cox Cable commercial on VH1
The “Wow. Makes me wonder what else I don’t know” commercial
A woman attacks another woman who is flirting with her husband
Gender stereotypes

Feb. 27, 2:30 p.m.
Social experience
Sooner Fashion Mall
I saw a woman walking down the mall who switched her purse to her other arm as a group of African-American boys passed by her.
Racial assumptions/
stereotypes



Personal reflection:

I was a little surprised by the amount of stereotyping I see in the media. It was very easy to point out, especially gender stereotyping. It seemed like everywhere I looked (or did not look) there was some form of stereotyping occurring, whether through images, conversations, text, etc.

I would have to say that being a fair-skinned male, I do not feel I am a target of too many harsh stereotypes in my daily life.

Media stereotyping of different ethnic groups and women plays a huge role in shaping the way society thinks about them. Every person interacts with the media, or forms of the media, nearly all day, every day. If we are constantly bombarded with images and representations of a person or group acting a certain way... we will naturally begin to associate that type of behavior with that person or group. Some of my personal experiences I listed above were not necessary caused out of hatred, but rather it was a friend of mine merely "joking" or being "funny." Racial stereotyping is not funny, it is counterproductive to the progressive advances we as a society are trying to make. You can't pretend something is bad on the outside, but treat it so casually on the inside. This is why it is so important for the media to stand above the stereotyping and to portray everyone on fair and equal ground. 

2 comments:

  1. Recall some of McIntosh's 46 statements. Good job. Any response to the 'funny statements'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised to see that you could see gender stereotypes easier than racial. For me, those were the hardest to catch in my daily life. I was also interested to see that most of your gender interactions were with female stereotyping. When it was like thursday and a majority of my notes were about racial stereotyping, I was a little worried. Was I just not seeing it? I think, to be honest, a majority of it has become so second nature to see that it doesn't even phase me.

    I agree about the "its just not funny" comment. We laugh, but at who's expense? That's what bothers me about much of the film in the media today. We laugh because the situations are funny but there is always that "token" ethnic character thrown into every movie. But, there has to come a point when we stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete